28 July 2011

Words, Words, Words

Midday on the last day of this program. Early we had our knowledge tested for the very reason we were here in the first place: our Shakespeare class. 9 plays, all but one Shakespearean (the one being War Horse), 11 identification passages, of which we needed to explain five, and one essay. A long test with a lot of writing. But not...as bad as I thought. We'll see the grade, though.

But I have to say, seeing each play performed really helped put each play in my memory as opposed to just reading them. I had pictures in my head of events, plot points, characterizations. This was the right way to learn Shakespeare. Or any theatre, really. Just reading a play is not as effective; they're good stories, sure, but they're meant to be seen and performed and unfold before an audience. That is when they are most interesting. I can see even the most ardent hater of Shakespeare enjoying such good performances as Richard III and Much Ado. The performance gives the words more meaning and brings everything to life.

So that is the end of the class. More reviews are to come, and more adventures because I still have a day left, and also am traveling throughout Europe with family until I return to the U.S. next Sunday. Even though the program is over, the adventures are not. Not quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment