24 July 2011

The Last of London







I had to cancel a trip to Dublin due to our last play, As You Like It, being shown the night I was supposed to leave. Instead I took two day-trips to London on Friday and Saturday to get in some things I hadn't been able to do in the first three weeks, and the time spent was well worth it.

Friday I decided to go to the Camden Locks Market, which I had heard many good things about from other people on my program but I hadn't gotten the chance to go there myself. I'm really glad I did. Camden is a part of London that is extremely unique, a trait which is reflected in the market, where you can find anything. Handmade clothing, vintage, a lot of hookah, instruments exotic and standard, masks, leather-bound journals, a LOT of food. I entered through the Stable Market which is situated in an actual old stable. Market stalls are in old horse stalls, and the place has a really cool atmosphere because of this. It leads directly into Camden Lock Market, situated on the canal that runs through Camden, hence the 'lock' part of the name. It was nice to see the canal and the locks, and the market that had sprung up beside it, full of people of all different sorts selling many cool things. I got plenty of food and a lovely red leather journal to write in. There were many other tempting things to buy but I managed to beat the temptation.

This not spending more money didn't last too long. Next on my list of things to do was to walk the River Thames South Bank, where I had been two years ago. The area just before the London Eye is an extremely fun place, but this time around I missed it, so I decided to try and explore the area again aftr Camden. I got off the train at London Bridge and got lost in the best way possible--by stumbling into Borough Market, a food market where one could find anything from cider and fruit juice to fresh meat and fish, to bread and desserts. There was no shortage of mouth watering possibilities and I may have picked up some items to eat. Purchases well worth the money.

I did eventually find my way to the river's walkway after a detour due to construction on Blackfriar's Bridge. The walk, which passes by the National Theatre and leads towards the London Eye, has all sorts of fun things going for it. Towards the beginning two men were making sand sculptures on the bank of the Thames, which looked more like a beach than the side of a river. Past that there was the South Bank Book Market, which had all sorts of books, not in any particular order, which made it particularly fun to wander through. I was surprised at some of the books I saw. There were some old editions of Agatha Christie and Charles Dickens stories, and more recent books as well.

Past the book market were trees. It seems that an area like a boardwalk, complete with sand, has been placed for a distance of this walkway at the waterside to make everything seem more beachy, which is a really cool addition to the walkway. There were street performers closer the the Eye, a lot of food venders (I got ice cream), and a LOT of tourists. There was plenty to look at.

I made my way past the Eye and crossed the bridge to Parliament, Big Ben, and Westminster Abbey. I didn't linger long, and walked back up Regent Street to see some of the shops there, before taking the train from Picadilly Circus to Paddington, from where (after a two hour wait) I journeyed back to Oxford.

The next day I did quite a bit less, having been exhausted by the first day. I wandered around Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus a bit. I walked into the Torcadero mall, curious since it's in the middle of everything, only to be met with limited options and even some closed stores and a surprisingly empty mall. It was actually a bit creepy rather in the same way a closed down amusement park is creepy. I spent a majority of my time in Covent Garden, where there is a piazza, the London Transport Museum (I only went into the store because the museum had a fee) and an indoor market in what looks like an older train terminal. I did not buy anything except for a good lunch and dessert, but I was happy to wander the stores and venders.

I also got a cinnamon bun from Cinnabon before going back. It was my dinner and a very good conclusion to my last visit to London on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment