06 July 2011

Tired But Accomplished Post

Short day today due to my only getting 3 hours of sleep last night. Such is a combination of a bad sleep schedule and 4th of July celebrations, even if I didn't take part in them. I'm actually not sure how I went to sleep as late as I did.

Today I ventured over to the British Library in which they had the Magna Carta (not pictured, they wouldn't let you), Shakespeare's folios, and other really old and cool scripts and documents of various sorts. It was interesting to look at the incredibly old writing as it was before publication. Also present was some of Leonardo Da Vinci's work, including mathematical/physics sketches and figures. The library also had an exhibit educating people on science fiction, which included a LOT of books and a TARDIS. Running up the center of the main part of the library is what is called 'The King's Library', which is full of old and very likely very valuable books encased in glass and protected by a door. It makes for a great center piece to the library, as well as is rather intriguing. I think it would be amazing to do some sort of research in that library--they certainly have the resources.

Then I walked into the beautiful St. Pancras International Train Station, simply because I like train stations, especially beautiful ones like this one, whose outside resembles a castle and the inside of which is made of sleek glass and is very open and airy (both are pictured). Last time in London I had been to St. Pancras as a passenger to Paris, but this time I got to walk around and really appreciate the beauty of the station and how awesome it is to be able to step off a train, arriving in London perhaps for the first time, and be greeted with such a grand train station. And it was HUGE.

Then I crossed the street to King's Cross, which serves the London Underground as well as the above ground national rail services. King's Cross is being renovated, rather like St. Pancras was, and is supposed to look amazing once it's finished, but for now it looked like old and decay and a lot of construction, crowds, and confusion. I didn't spend nearly as much time there.

I nearly got lost on the way back (in the unpredicted rain), thinking I had to turn down Farringdon Road as I walked east. However, Farringdon did not come up and I had the feeling that once I passed a sign telling me I had entered Islington, the area just to the east of the one I am staying in, I figured I needed to start heading down any street. I chose to go a block back from where I came from and turned down the street--King's Cross Street, only to find that it turned into Farringdon. Which was lucky. The renaming of the same street several times in London is one thing that I'm not so happy about. It makes finding places confusing.

But I made it, safe and sound and with Belgian (liege) waffles I found at Tescos, which I can have with Nutella! Tomorrow I get to see and review (and later present said review) the Globe's production of Hamlet. Hopefully it won't rain like the forecast says it will.






No comments:

Post a Comment