12 July 2011

Oxford vs London

In other words, I didn't really do anything and my need to pass time has gotten unbearable. Well, not really, but I'm bored enough to write a blog about something that I otherwise probably wouldn't have written about. The blog being--Reasons Why Oxford Is Different From London

-Single room. With a sink in it. The wireless internet is crap, though, so ethernet is required. Also there are MAIDS. Who clean the rooms every day (except weekends, I think). I mean....that is unheard of! Except for in hotels. I was shocked when I came back from class yesterday to find my bedsheets neatly made up. Which is one good thing, because like London all my belongings are scattered carelessly around the room. I'm not much of an unpacker when I'm staying somewhere for less than a long time. And three weeks is apparently not long enough.

-Less walking, though more walking everywhere, since Oxford does not have the option of a train system. So even when it rains, walking is still required. There is the bus. But buses are hard to work out.

-Not as much take-away food. And not as much food open after 5pm. Especially on Sundays. If you want food you're better off eating out, but I don't like to eat in restaurants alone. That's weird.

-HOWEVER served breakfast and lunches in Oxford St. Edmund College dining hall (which my room is conveniently right next to). Breakfast is a buffet and lunch has actual waitresses serve us. It feels odd, like being a wealthy person instead of now-broke college students. And the food...is good. Lunch is always a very filling meal.

-Better architecture. Now, I love the way London looks. It's old in a much better way than, say, New York City is old. But Oxford just looks beautiful, with the gothic style golden buildings. Although I will say they look a lot less pleasant and much more intimidating when it rains.

-Tourists are more concentrated. Therefore more frustrating.

-London does not have a lack of food options until after 11pm. Oxford...has a lack of food options.

-Oxford also doesn't do good with wireless. At least not in my building.

-Oxford makes one feel smarter and more motivated to work and also live a generally healthy life. London makes one want to do...other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment