18 July 2011

Edinburgh Part 2





The above are just a sampling of the scenes that Edinburgh had to offer. The second day I checked out of the place I was staying and once again went forth, with all my belongings, to explore. I actually poked around the University of Edinburgh, which is just as beautiful as the rest of the city, though a lot of it, including the main quad of the Old College building, was under construction.

Later I decided to walk along Leith Walk to see if I could find the coast. 3 miles later I was exhausted, and the area around the coast was confusing and not particularly interesting. It was also starting to rain, so I took a bus back into the main part of the city to see what I could find there.

What I did find was the Scottish National Museum, which told the history of the Scottish people from way back in the early days of Scotland to the present day, chronicling things such as development of cities, inventions, Scottish culture, immigration, and concerns of people today in Scotland. It was extremely interesting, and definitely offered a lot to learn about Scotland.

Afterwards I sat in a restaurant for two hours and when I came out it looked ready to rain again. Actually, there was a thunder storm coming in. At one point there was a huge bang of thunder and people in the streets cheered. And then it rained. Again.

I also purchased a lovely coat, which I left on the second bus coming back, because having been on buses for 8 hours and having been cold and kept mostly awake, I apparently wasn't in the right mindset to take all my things with me. Hopefully I can get it back: that coat was beautiful and I will be very upset if it doesn't turn up. I might be forced to order it again--it was that good of a coat!

Next weekend I may just take a trip to London and hang around Oxford. No one seems to have definite plans, as is always the case, so I'm left trying to figure out what is good to do alone.

*I would also like to make a special mention about fried Mars Bars, which chip shops in Scotland like to make, in addition to frying pretty much anything else. Fried Mars Bars are GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment