23 June 2011

All's Well That Ends Well

A late night last night contributed to having a class that was hard to stay awake in, not necessarily because of the subject matter, though that might have contributed a little bit, but more so because of the lack of sleep. I ended up going to bed after the sun rose, at 4:30am, which made me toy with the idea of pulling an all nighter. That's how much it freaked me out. But I slept, for 3 hours, plus two mini-naps, adding up to 4 hours collectively.

And with not too much sleep I and a group of others on the program made our way to the river Thames, walked across the Blackfriars Bridge and had fish and chips for the first time this trip. And then we proceeded to the Globe Theatre to see All's Well That Ends Well, hoping that it wouldn't rain on us like it had earlier, and also hoping that the play was short.

It didn't rain, but it was cold and the play lasted long enough that we had been standing for 3 hours, which is a long time. Not so noticeable at a concert, maybe, but very noticeable at a play.

But the play was good! I have no idea what some of the plot points were because of, probably, the cold and the standing and the lack of sleep and also the fact that before that point I hadn't read the play. But most notably standing out was Colin Hurley as Lavatch and Will Featherstone as Parolles, both of whom had excellent comic timing. Featherstone even used a plane flying over the theatre (and making a LOT of noise) to comic effect. I wouldn't say the production was amazing or that I would watch it again, as I have wanted to with others. But it was good and entertaining.

Now I'm back in the flat, having been satisfied by fish and chips, which are very good. And wondering if our door will be fixed. The key latch broke and the whole door had to be removed and replaced again so we could get back into the flat. Only one of the key latches works.

So it's been adventurous. Tomorrow there shall be grocery shopping involving strawberries. And hopefully one day I'll figure out how to work the washer/dryer in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment