15 September 2011

Telling a Story in Three Different Ways

These past two weeks have involved a lot of work, and a good chunk of that work has involved learning how to tell stories. As someone who wants to be a writer I should be extremely happy for the opportunity to be learning three different modes of storytelling, but when those three different things are in the same week it can be kind of stressful. And writer's block doesn't help and always comes at the worst times.

This past week I've had to come up with two and a half different stories to tell in three different ways. One was a short story for my fiction writing class, one an episode of a television show my screenwriting class is the 'staff' of, and a short film that was more for experimenting with a camera than for story telling but at least had to be interesting.

All of these projects except the video are still in progress in some way, mostly through still being written, rewritten, or critiqued. And coming up with ideas is hard. Which is why the first draft of my story failed miserably, because I had no idea where to go with it.

But that is, as I've learned, the benefit of being in a class. Other people have ideas, and their ideas are usually better than mine, or at least they know what I meant to think of before I had the chance to think of it. Either way, the advice is like inspiration; it gives me an idea of how to write. So next week I'll have many new ideas to rewrite my short story and start writing my screenplay with.

Both of these things could end up complete failures. And because all the writing I do leads (or doesn't lead) to advancement there is a lot of pressure to do well. So hopefully...that doesn't happen.

Attribute any lack of coherency to a lack of sleep.

I forgot to mention that I also get to tell stories through photography because I'm on the school paper's photo desk. But...that was not nearly as hard so I'm not going into detail about it. In fact, it was awesome. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment